Arlington police arrested a Boston man on Tuesday, Jan. 17, linked to an alleged home-improvement rip-off focusing on city residents — the second related rip-off over two days.
Jack Clarke, 23, was charged with malicious destruction of property of greater than $1,200, larceny by false pretenses of greater than $1,200, conspiracy and unlicensed operation of a motorized vehicle, a information launch mentioned.
On Saturday, Jan. 14, police have been contacted by a resident who believed he was the sufferer of a development rip-off. The resident reported to police that two males had charged him an extreme amount of cash for home-improvement work, broken his property and didn’t return to finish repairs.
On Jan. 13, police arrested three males in reference to a separate however related rip-off. In circumstances comparable to this, a scammer typically targets seniors for numerous home-improvement tasks. The focused properties usually want reputable repairs. However a suspect typically quotes a small worth for a minor job, then causes injury with out permission and quotes a a lot larger worth, persuading the sufferer to pay a big sum upfront, promising to finish the work, however later taking the cost with out finishing the work.
$14,500 quote grows to $68,000 invoice
Within the Jan. 14 case, the sufferer reported to police that two males, considered one of whom was later recognized as Clarke, quoted him $14,500 to repaint his basement. When the lads started their work on the house owner’s basement, they allegedly destroyed a part of the basement basis after which persuaded the sufferer that repairs would price $68,000. The sufferer finally wrote a number of checks totaling a portion of the total quantity, which Clarke allegedly cashed.
On this case, the suspects additionally offered the sufferer with an obvious enterprise contract, which alleged scammers typically supply to assist seem as a reputable firm.
On Jan. 17, Arlington police have been notified that Clarke had returned to the sufferer’s dwelling to gather instruments and different supplies left within the house owner’s basement. Clarke was approached by police, was positively recognized as one of many suspects and was subsequently positioned below arrest. By means of their investigation, police additionally decided that Clarke was allegedly driving with out a license.
He was arraigned in Cambridge District Courtroom on Tuesday and was launched on private recognizance.
Chief Juliann Flaherty mentioned in an announcement:
“We encourage all Arlington residents to pay attention to such a rip-off and to report any suspicious exercise to the police division. People finishing up such a rip-off typically go door-to-door. We encourage residents to be cautious of anybody going door-to-door providing companies, and to be cautious of who they let into their dwelling or start work on their property with out verifying the corporate first. Scammers typically goal seniors or others in our group who’re susceptible, and we’ll work with the district legal professional’s workplace to prosecute these circumstances to their fullest extent.”
Tricks to keep away from scams:
Arlington police have shared the next ideas relating to dwelling enchancment contractor scams from the Workplace of Client Affairs and Enterprise Regulation:
- Scammers typically method potential victims for dwelling enchancment scams by cellphone, e-mail or by touring door-to-door, and should declare they’ve been performing work domestically and have surplus materials.
- Scammers steadily supply their companies at a really low worth.
- Test to ensure the contractor is registered with the Workplace of Client Affairs and Enterprise Regulation by utilizing its home-improvement contractor registration lookup service. Request a enterprise card or web site tackle for the contractor’s enterprise.
- Be cautious if the person is driving an unmarked motorized vehicle.
- Request a replica of the corporate’s normal contract.
- Inquire about whether or not the corporate will present a guaranty and the way lengthy that guarantee will final.
- By no means pay greater than one-third the overall price of a service upfront, in money, and solely accomplish that after getting verified that this individual is a registered dwelling enchancment contractor and you’ve got a contract.
Anybody who believes they’ve fallen sufferer to any sort of rip-off is inspired to contact the Arlington Police Division at 781-643-1212.
Jan. 14, 2023: 3 charged in home-improvement rip-off focusing on aged
This information abstract was printed Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2023, based mostly on info from a information launch by Leah Comins of John Guilfoil Public Relations.